Getting Ready for International Climate Finance and the Green Climate Fund
Climate change is one of the priority areas for Nepal. The government of Nepal has taken various initiatives to address this sector, developing programs and strategies like the National Adaptation Program of Actions (NAPA), Local Adaptation Plan of Action (LAPA) and National Adaptation Plans (NAPs). However, the government is under-resourced from its internal sources to implement these works and thereby requires support from the international sources.
Various international climate funds have been established for countries like Nepal to fund climate actions and address resilient and low carbon development such as the Least Developed Countries Fund (LDCF) and Adaptation Fund (AF). One of the latest and major additions is the Green Climate Fund (GCF) that is expected to mobilize tens of billions of dollars to help developing countries fight climate change and move towards a resilient future. Thus, GCF is one of the avenues for Nepal to access money into the country to implement its climate actions. But there is little awareness among the stakeholders regarding this issue.
This project was therefore, commenced with an aim of sharing information and consulting with the key National stakeholders (including government, non-government and private sectors) regarding the various International sources of funds and the procedures by which they could be accessed by Nepal.
The overall objective of this project was to help the government and relevant stakeholders capture complete knowledge on climate finance especially in relation to Green Climate Fund and its implementation modality in the country. In specific,
- Document the progress made in Green Climate Fund and its relevance to Nepal in the form of discussion paper through a participatory process.
- Build knowledge and raise awareness to stakeholders on how to access the GCF resources that can help implement national plans and programs.
- Document the major international funds relevant to Nepal that can be access in the near future.
- Publication on Climate Finance Options for Nepal
- Consultation Workshop on Climate Finance and the GCF
- Publication on Green Climate Fund and Opportunity for Nepal